Did you know?

Friday 14 December 2012

That deli meat/cold cuts contain gluten. Yup that's right, and boy did I figure that out after I ate some this afternoon, I am so bloated!!!

Why do they contain gluten?
As we all know gluten is the binding agent of the universe and deli meats, hotdogs and sausages apparently need binding.The gluten helps retain water, stabilizes fat and protein, produces more end product, helps hold the meat together for better slicing and gives a nice gluteny texture.

But have no fear there are plently of alternatives on the market and more and more butchers are now offering gluten free alternatives. In the meantime, I will compile a list of canadian alternatives easily found in local supermarkets, well, atleast I hope so...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger